Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring Break


























Last weekend we went to the Hanksville area of Utah to camp and go hiking. We went with Jameson's entire family. It turned out to be a lot of fun. Some stayed in a motel in Hanksville, and the rest of us camped by a little river outside of the town. Our first hike was in Goblin Valley. That was my first time to go and I thought the "goblin-like" boulders were amazing. Melody hiked with us in a backpack that Jameson carried. That night, after we ate in a little diner, we went back to camp, built a fire, and made smores. It was all fun and games until we went to bed and heard the coyotes come out. Apparently, they came really close to our camp and killed some rabbits. I could not only hear the coyotes, but the squealing of the dying rabbits. At the time, I didn't realize what the squealing was, so I was SCARED! I woke up Jameson and asked him if coyotes attack people. He said, "Yes, they like to eat people sleeping in tents". I knew he was joking, but the sounds were so close that I had a hard time sleeping. Somehow, we all made it through the night alive!





The next day we hiked in Little Wild Horse Canyon, which is a slot canyon. That was a beautiful and fascinating hike. We ended up having to turn around before everyone else because Melody was crying the whole time. Later we learned she was suffering with a fever and ear infection... I would have cried too if my parents dragged me along on a hike while feeling like that.

6 comments:

Janel said...

Wow that looks like an amazing trip! so sorry to hear about Melody, sweet girl! being sick is no fun, especially for them that don't know what the heck is going on>

The Francis' said...

Ha ha, that's too funny... noises always wake me up while camping. That area looks like a ton of fun.

I agree, kids being sick is no fun. Alyssa is just getting over a cold :(

-Bryan
looks like we are dominating the comments here :)

Elise said...

That looks like a ton of fun!

Hey Steph-did you by chance ever talk to Andrea Robison about my Lia Sophia order? Just checking...I would kind of like that cool jewelry someday :).

MJ said...

Oh looks like so much fun! Sorry Melody wasn't feeling well, and I would have panicked if coyotes were killing rabbits all night long too. Glad you had a good time.

Maegan said...

The last camping experience (in our backyard) also resulted in animals fighting and freaking me out and baby getting sick. I was grateful I could crawl in my bed at 6am for some real sleep. Hope Melody is better now.

Angela S said...

I know i'm a day late and a dollar short but happy birthday yesterday! I hope you had a great day and got to relax at least a little...