Sunday, March 15, 2009

Running for a Cause



Yesterday, Melody and I participated in the Rex Lee Run, a run that is put on by the cancer center at BYU. Rex Lee was a president of BYU who died of cancer, so every year this event is put on in his honor. We dedicated the run to our uncle, Ryan Lee, who is currently fighting cancer, and also to our friend, Bobbie Jo, who recently died of cancer. I ran the 10k, and pushed Melody in the jogging stroller, which is something she has come to thoroughly enjoy. Jameson came to the race to cheer us on and take pictures. We also met up with a couple friends, Brent and Camellia.






I made a sign for my shirt that said," Running for Uncle Ryan Lee, Current Cancer Fighter. Running in loving memory of Bobbie Jo, who became a cancer victim at the young age of 32."




I also made a shirt for Melody that said the same thing.




I participated in the Rex Lee run several years ago, but at the time, it was just a race. Yesterday, it was more than a race. I felt the reality of how fragile life is, and gratitude for my own life and the health of my baby and husband. I felt hope for Uncle Ryan, and gratitude that he is still here on this earth. I felt awe at the courage put forth by Bobbie Jo, who, from what I heard and read, fought with all the strength she had until her passing. Lastly, I felt grateful for the people who dedicate so much time researching cancer and looking for a cure.
To Bobbie Jo's family, our prayers are with you.
To Uncle Ryan, keep fighting. We love you so much!

2 comments:

The Francis' said...

wow, you never stop running! Like Forrest Gump. :) That really is a great cause... My dad's had cancer twice now.

-Bryan

MJ said...

Glad to see you are back on the blogosphere!! Melody is so beautiful! (no surprise, taking after her mom). I need your new address. Ever since we moved to SLC I have kept putting off sending Melody a gift and I don't want to put it off any longer. If you don't mind, email me your address at melifrandsen@gmail.com. That would be wonderful! Way to go on the run.